Go Back   The Diecast Aviation Web Site and Forum > Military > 1/72nd Warbirds

1/72nd Warbirds For all things Prop and Merlin!!!

Old 29th July 2010
Pilot Officer

Default IXO/ALtaya Biplanes 1/72

Hi Guys,

Currently sunning myself in Spain, and was reluctantly dragged around one of the many "Chinese" Bazaars (think "mega" Pound Shops) that have sprung up in last few months, and came across a job lot of the Altaya biplanes, all at 4Euros a pop.

Bristol Bulldog, Sopwith Triplane, Neiuport, Curtiss Jenny, Hanriot HD1, SE5a with very iffy tailpane dihedral, Polikarpov I15 (I think), and the very dodgy looking Stearman.

Not the best models around, but at 4 Euros a go I might bring a few back to UK and see if they can be re-worked into half decent models....

See even here on the Costa Blanca the diecast manages to find me

Must get back to my cold beer and working on my tan by the pool.... Only 32C in the shade here :-)

Toodle pip

Paul F

Er..no Dear, of course it's not another diecast....

Old 29th July 2010
Flight Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post

Not the best models around, but at 4 Euros a go I might bring a few back to UK and see if they can be re-worked into half decent models....
From what I've seen of the Altaya bipes you'll need another holiday after you've re-worked them

Best of British luck to you!

I think they did a HS-123 as well - that's a plane I'd dearly love to see from Corgi, given their rep for all things brace and strut.

Old 29th July 2010
Wing Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Hi Guys,

Currently sunning myself in Spain, and was reluctantly dragged around one of the many "Chinese" Bazaars (think "mega" Pound Shops) that have sprung up in last few months, and came across a job lot of the Altaya biplanes, all at 4Euros a pop.

Bristol Bulldog, Sopwith Triplane, Neiuport, Curtiss Jenny, Hanriot HD1, SE5a with very iffy tailpane dihedral, Polikarpov I15 (I think), and the very dodgy looking Stearman.

See even here on the Costa Blanca the diecast manages to find me

Must get back to my cold beer and working on my tan by the pool.... Only 32C in the shade here :-)

Toodle pip

Paul F
Beware on bringing these back aboard a aircraft if put in the rear hold they will have a very bad effect on the centre of gravity I used my Stearman as a door stop until I got fed up stubbing my toes on it

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Old 30th July 2010
Wing Commander

The darn things seem to be made of lead or cast iron and they are the sloppiest line I've seen as regards glue blobs, broken add-on parts, incorrect/misplaced markings, etc. However if one is willing to do a lot of sanding, gluing, painting and so on, many of these models can be made presentable----if viewed from a distance of five paces. Don't forget not to breathe in the sanding "dust" and good luck.

Old 2nd August 2010
Pilot Officer

Default Thanks for the feedback

Had picked up a couple to look at and and found they weighed about as much as a corgi TSR2! Must be all those rigging wires ;-).

Maybe Ill bring back a couple and pass on the rest... I cant afford the excess baggage charges!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Paul F

Er..no Dear, of course it's not another diecast....