Go Back   The Diecast Aviation Web Site and Forum > Military > 1/144th

Old 29th July 2007
Pilot Officer

Default Atlas Editions 1/144 military

I would like to find out more about buying Atlas Editions aircraft in the 1/144 scale and military types. They seem to be only availabel in England. I wonder when they may be available in North America where the shipping and handling is more affordable.

Old 30th July 2007
Squadron Leader

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Fred View Post
I would like to find out more about buying Atlas Editions aircraft in the 1/144 scale and military types. They seem to be only availabel in England. I wonder when they may be available in North America where the shipping and handling is more affordable.
Hi FF, try 'cristiantg' on evilbay....he lists frequent selections of Atlas 144s and Altaya/Ixo 72s from time to time...and he's located in Tx, Usa

hope this helps

Chris M

Old 30th July 2007
Maintaining the Forum!

These were a subscription release were they not?

(Welcome to the Forum Flyer Fred - Nice to have you aboard).

Old 30th July 2007
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFBC View Post
These were a subscription release were they not?

(Welcome to the Forum Flyer Fred - Nice to have you aboard).
wouldnt know i'm afraid CFBC...never bought any

however if you look up the link i gave FF on the bay the seller might have some info about that

or if you like i will drop him a line as i recently bought a desert Me110 by Altaya off him and i've still got his emails details somewhere

Chris M

PS ....CFBC....have dropped him a line in case he has any additional info

Last edited by chris1966m : 30th July 2007 at 10:12.

Old 30th July 2007
Pilot Officer

hi

also look at ebay.fr (farnce) and search for
"bombardiers giants du ciel"
or
"avion atlas"

As its a either french or spanish manufacturer afaik, you are likely to find some there.
Wise Man #1: We were led by a star. Brian's mother: Led by a bottle, more like.

Old 30th July 2007
Wing Commander

Atlas "Bombers and Giants of the Sky" series are not up to Corgi's 1/144 quality, but they are the only choice out there for a lot of the lesser known types and that's reflected in some of the crazy prices they go for on eBay (look at what the He177, FW200 and Ar234 fetch!).
I invested in a few a while back in order to fill out my 1/144 Bomber Command shelf, that aside from Corgi's Lancaster and Fortress, now has the Atlas Stirling, Halifax (though the markings are French), Hampden and Wellington. I also put an Atlas Hudson with my Corgi Coastal Command Fortress and Sunderland. They're not worth what I paid, but they're all there is!

Old 30th July 2007
Air Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mkit View Post
Atlas "Bombers and Giants of the Sky" series are not up to Corgi's 1/144 quality They're not worth what I paid, but they're all there is!
no, they aren't!

the nose turret on my Stirling was glued on hamfistedly and the clear plastic is clouded over - an elementary mistake I didn't make in my kit building days!
was it worth thirty-six quid - no it wasn't, IMO

Buyer beware!

I was also bidding on the Fw200 Condor, SM 79, Z1007 and Hampden at the time and on reflection I quite glad I didn't win them - would have been staring at a 200 quid paypal bill for some substandard diecast

"Well, that's a piece of luck. Thought I'd landed sausage side. Ha! Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls would kill themselves." Rik Mayall 1958-2014

Old 30th July 2007
Squadron Leader

Smile Altas releases so far

am list hereunder the current list of 144s so far released by Atlas and as kindly supplied to me by Cristian Galdolfo (Texas - USA)

....the Atlas Bombardiers et Geants du Ciel series was originally released in France and Belgium on a subscription basis. Later it was released in the UK, Germany and Italy. The last release, in Italy and the UK, is the B-25 Mitchell that was not released in France and Belgium. It might not have been released in Germany either.

Total releases up to now are 42 different castings. All in 1:144th scale with the exception of the Ar-234 that was released in 1:97th scale.

This is the complete list:
Atlas Bombardiers et Geants du ciel (1/144 scale unless otherwise indicated)

1 Boeing B-17 F Flying Fortress "Memphis Belle" (black display stand)
1a Boeing B-17 F Flying Fortress "Memphis Belle" (silver display stand)
2 Avro Lancaster
3 Boeing B-29 Superfortress "Enola Gay"
4 Junkers Ju-88A4
5 Vickers Wellington
6 Focke-Wulf Fw-200C Condor
7 Martin Marauder B-26
8 Consolidated B-24D Liberator “Teggie Ann”
9 Heinkel He-111H
10 Curtiss C-46 Commando
11 English Electric Canberra B57
12 Short Stirling Mk I
13 Glenn Martin Maryland 167 A-3 "France Libre"
14 Cantieri Z-1007bis VIb Alcione 1943 (Italy, cobelligerent Air Force)
15 Mitsubishi G4M Betty
16 Lockheed Hudson GR.Mk-1 (RAF)
17 Douglas C-47 Skytrain "Buzz Buggy" (D-Day markings)
18 Handley Page Halifax
19 Douglas A-26 Invader
20 Handley Page Hampden
21 Heinkel He-177
22 Dornier Do-217
23 Ilyouchin DB-3
24 Lioré et Olivier LeO-45
25 Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird"
26 Savoia-Marchetti SM-79
27 Bristol Blenheim Mk IV
28 Tupolev SB-2 Katiuska
29 Bristol Beaufort
30 Mitsubishi Ki 21 'Sally'
31 Amiot 351
32 Ju-52
33 De Haviland Mosquito
34 JU-188 A
35 Arado 234 (1/97)
36 SNCASO Vautour
37 Nord 2501 Noratlas
38 Lockheed C-130H Hercules
39 Tupolev Tu-20 Bear
40 Lockheed Martin F-117 Nighthawk
41 Rockwell B-1B Lancer
42 North American B-25 Mitchell

i hope that this helps

Chris M

Old 31st July 2007
Pilot Officer

Smile Atlas Editions 1/144 military

Many great thanks to all of you who sent me a reply with your warm welcomes and advice. I am glad there are nice people like you out there in the wild blue yonder I am able to converse with about these subjects.

Old 31st July 2007
Wing Commander

Glad to have you aboard Flyer Fred. Let us know how you do on the Atlas acquisitions.

Old 15th August 2007
Pilot Officer

Maybe this photos helps a little bit to select a airplane. 1st are Bristol Blenheim and Beaufort, 2nd Do-217 and Ju-188A-3 or E-3, 3rd Fw-200c-3 and HE-177A-5, 4th G4M1, Ki-21 II-B, Il4 or DB-3, 5th Hampden and Wellington, 6th Hampden and Hudson.
To find an Atlas-Airplane look directly on French, German and Belgium or Italia evilbay sites, search for avion metal, atlas bombardier, atlas bomber, don't use worldwide, most of them sell only in their country, but ask for selling to GB. The airplanes have normally a six pages documentary

P.S. Sorry if my english is not so accurate...

Old 15th August 2007
Air Chief Marshal

Very nice.....

Welcome Pauck... your English is much better than my German ..

Welcome too to Flyer Fred.....

Old 15th August 2007
Air Vice-Marshal

Welcome.

Some nice dioramas.

Have to admit I'm not too keen on the planes though....

Old 16th August 2007
Air Commodore

the Luftwaffe contingent look very ropey, always have a problem with the glazed noses

"Well, that's a piece of luck. Thought I'd landed sausage side. Ha! Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls would kill themselves." Rik Mayall 1958-2014

Old 26th August 2007
Pilot Officer

At first, thanks for friendly welcome
It is right, that you can't compare Atlas with Corgi. Especially the uc are really poor quality, the canopys are not really better, no rotating propellers. But there is often only a chance to get a special type of airplane in 1/144 when you take an Atlas
I don't know if someone notice that: Altaya have a new line (altaya.fr) "Bombardiers de la Seconde Guerre mondiale" with bombers in 1/144
[url="http://www.altaya.fr/uploads/numeros_0/130_bombardiers.pdf"]
This line including following aircrafts:
- Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress États-Units
- Heinkel He 111H-6 Allemagne
- Avro Lancaster Mk.III Royaume-Uni
- Consolidated B-24J Liberator États-Units
- Focke-Wulf Fw 200 C-4 Condor Allemagne
- Vickers Wellington Mk. X/XIV Royaume-Uni
- Kawanishi H8K2 "Emily" Japan
- Lioré et Olivier LeO 451 France
- Heinkel He 177 A-5 Greif Allemagne
- Cant Z 1007bis Alcione Italy
- Handley Page Halifax B Mk. I/II Royaume-Uni
- Junkers Ju 290 A-5 Allemagne
- Mitsubishi G4M1 Type 1 Japan
- B-29 Super Fortress États-Units
- Short S.29 Stirling Royaume-Uni
- Junkers Ju 52/3 m Allemagne
- Piaggio P.108 Italy
- Douglas C-54 / R5D Skymaster États-Units
- Avro 679 Manchester Royaume-Uni
- Blohm & Voss BV-222 Allemagne
On the photos, they look quite good, better then Atlas. At the moment, Altaya is at number 2, but I didn't find somebody who sell this line..

Old 27th August 2007
Wing Commander

With any hope maybe IXO will pick up this line as they did with the 1/72nd Altaya offerings. Considering what the Atlas He177, SM79, FW200, Halifax, Stirling and a few others fetch on eBay this may be a good move by Altaya I just hope I can get my hands on a few at the right price, and they're better quality than Atlas as Pauck suggests. I'd like to have those already mentioned plus the Ju290, Manchester and BV222.

Old 8th September 2007
Pilot Officer

New here. But been collecting 1/144-1/160 airplanes for years. Started with Bachmann and some other toy manufacturers and later Corgi for a Military Museum scene on my N-Scale modular which is a diorama section that connects to other modulars for those model trains layouts you see at shows for those that don't what a N-scale modular is.

Anyway, I occasional do an eBay search for 1/144 and was happily surprise by the Atlas Editions and now, Altaya WWII diecast planes.

Anyone think these will ever be distributed over here in the States or will I forever have to pay the outrageous S&H to get 'em?

Old 9th September 2007
Wing Commander

Welcome Drucifer. We can only hope the Altaya 1/144 stuff will be available stateside, cause I'm another who's felt the pain of buying some Atlas models from EU sellers.

So can we see some pics of your N-scale diorama?

Old 26th September 2007
Wing Commander

[As a long time "lurker" on this forum, I thought I'd share some comments on the new Altaya subscription series--Bombers of WWII.First off, these are entirely new renditions in 1:144 scale, with much more detail than the old Atlas planes and, for that matter, Corgi's B-17 and Lancaster in the same scale. Since I have now seen the Altaya B-17G in person, I can report that it is relatively well assembled and painted, with pad printed insignias, spinning add-on props, pad printed lettering, etc. However, they are using a combination of lightweight metal--primarily for the fuselage-- and plastic which makes the model less hefty than a Corgi of similar size. As one might expect for such low-budget, mass produced items, there are mistakes, such as misaligned green stripes near the tail area, a missing rightside waist machine gun and a poorly done main cabin canopy ( overly high and lacking side frames ). Also, they have chosen to paint some of the windows. Sometimes, this works, sometimes it doesn't. For more info on this interesting new series you can check The Model Hangar II's Altaya/IXO section. My take is that many--though certainly not all-- of the relatively minor issues I noted with the B-17G can be dealt with by careful repainting, a little bending of misaligned guns, etc. Of course there are still going to be faults, but my examination of the B-17G leads me to take a gamble on more interesting planes in this series, like the FW-200, JU-290, Emily, Piaggio P.108,etc. when they are offered by eBay sellers.